So in our last ward they put together a cook book. The gal who headed it up is a phenomenal cook and baker. If you want to GAIN 10 pounds this year check out her blog here. Anyhow, I tried one of her recipes tonight and for the first time maybe ever Vance couldn't get enough of his dinner. So if you've got a picky eater you've got to try this recipe.
1 3/4 lbs. lean ground beef
3 Tbs cold water
1/2 tsp garlic salt (we like garlic salt her so I upped it to 1 tsp)
1 tsp dried oregano leaves (I did 1/2 tsp each of oregano and basil)
dash black pepper
dash paprika
all purpose flour
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup fine seasoned bread crumbs
2 Tbs butter or margarine
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup spaghetti sauce
2 Tbs chopped fresh herbs like basil, sage, oregano or thyme (I did half basil and half oregano)
In a bowl, combine ground beef, cold water, garlic salt, oregano, pepper and paprika. Mix to blend well. Divide meet into even pieces. Shape each piece into a patty, about 3/4 inch thick. Coat patties with flour. Let set for a few minutes.
Dip patties into beaten egg and into breaded crumbs. Brown patties on both sides in butter in a skillet.
Arrange patties in a shallow baking dish. Pour a little spaghetti sauce over the patties. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Pour the rest of the spaghetti sauce over the patties.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until patties are hot and cheese has melted.
Sprinkle with herbs and serve.
This is fairly caloricious (as Tj would say) so you could make a few substitutes to save some calories. I used ground sirloin which I think is pretty lean. You could also use ground turkey or ground chicken. Also you could probably save a few calories by omitting the cheese. The actual beef patties are plenty flavorful in and of themselves. Also I added diced onion because a dinner isn't complete if it doesn't include garlic and/or onion in our house.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment