Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pot Roast with Gravy

After years of hearing Tj rave about Rita Perry's gravy I finally got the chance to ask her about how she makes it. I've since made it about half a dozen times and it turns out perfect EVERY time.


1 roast (Whatever size and cut you like)
Olive Oil
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Salt, Garlic Pepper
1 Packet Onion Soup Mix
1 Packet Au Jus Sauce
6 Cups Water
Vegetables: Onion, Carrots, Celery, etc (Optional)

Heat Skillet on Med to Med-High. Drizzle Olive Oil over roast and sprinkle spices in whatever combination you desire on all sides. In skillet brown each side of roast. Place in roasting pan or crock pot. In 2 cup measuring cup mix 2 cups water and 1/3 of each of the Onion soup mix and Au Jus packet and mix until dissolved. Pour over roast. Continue until all of the packets and water have covered the roast. Cook roast according to package directions in oven or about 5-6 hours on high in crock pot. Half way through add vegetables if desired.

When roast is done suction out the liquid. In sauce pan heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon flour per each cup of liquid. (I typically make 4 cups of gravy- even though I have more liquid- so I use 4 tablespoons butter, 4 tablespoons flour and 4 cups of liquid.) When butter and flour make a pasty consistency (be careful not to brown the butter and flour) slowly begin whisking in the liquid letting it thicken as you go. Once all liquid has been added continue to whisk and let cook for about 5 minutes or your desired thickness. Serve gravy over roast and/or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!

PS. I have found that left over gravy is a delicious substitute to can of cream of mushroom soup in beef stroganoff.

No comments: