Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Chipotle Chicken Rolls with Avocado Dipping Sauce


This is a 365 Rachael Ray recipe - #299 if you have the book, if you don't, it's online here.

This is the third time I've made these in the past month and a half. My thoughts:

1. This is really good, but not enough for a standalone meal. Good for appetizers. I might make them for Thanksgiving.

2. The first time I made this, it was a little time consuming, but now that I've got the hang of it, I've made it for lunch a couple times.

3. Thaw the phyllo dough. Take it out of the freezer two hours ahead of time. I didn't read the package directions in time; I found that you can microwave the rolled dough for 10 second intervals on a power of 2 and after two or three times, the dough is ready.

4. I've only used the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, so I'm not sure how it compares with just using salsa. You only need one pepper though - those things are SPICY! If you live in a Publix area, they do have a good Chipolte salsa, I can't remember the brand, but the label is white and silver. I've never been able to use an entire can of chipotle peppers in the sauce, so salsa might be more economical.

5. I'm not a big fan of cilantro, and the first time I made this, I accidently used parsley and the dipping sauce was still really good.

6. The first batch I made was quite soggy. The next time I cooked the rolls, I lined a cookie sheet with foil and placed a wire (cookie cooling) tray on top and cooked the rolls on top of that. They turned out crispy that time, so that's how I've cooked them since.

No comments: