Sunday, July 20, 2008

Pantry Chimichangas

Okay so the other night I came home from work and really wanted Mexican food. But alas we're on a pretty tight budget so going out was out of the question. I didn't have time to thaw meat for one of my regular recipes. So I went to my pantry and whipped up what I have dubbed Pantry Chimichangas. Just about everything you'll need to can find in your pantry.

Pantry Chimichangas
1 13 oz Canned Chicken Breast
1 Can Enchilada Sauce
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 Can Black Beans
1/2 Onion Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic Minced
Grated Cheese (I used Monterey Jack but cheddar would work too)
4 Tortillas
Pam
Olive Oil


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a sauce pan add just a touch of Olive Oil. When heated add garlic and onion. Cook together until onion is translucent. Add drained chicken, Cream of Mushroom Soup and beans and mix together. (Avoid breaking up chicken.) Once combined add enough enchilada sauce to make it the consistency you like. (I added about 1/2 a can and it was a bit too runny for me. Also remember that once the soup heats through it will become runny too.) Heat through. (It won't be the most appetizing thing to look at but it is tasty.)


In the meantime prep for the assembly process. You will need a non-stick frying pan, a cookie sheet covered in foil and a cooling rack.

Heat the frying pan on Medium to Med High heat. Warm 4 tortillas in the microwave. (I place them between two paper towels and heat for about 30 seconds.) Place a spoonful of the mixture and a good helping of cheese in the center of the tortilla. Fold in the sides and then roll the tortilla closed. Spray the pan with Pam. Place the "burrito" on the pan and brown each side. Place the chimichanga on the wire cooling rack. Repeat until you have four chimichangas.

Spray Pam on all sides of the chimichangas (I know it sounds gross but it helps them get toasty in the oven). Place them on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.



Serve with sour cream and remaining filling on top.



No comments: